Do you want to lose 20 kg? Have you decided that now is your time?
If so, you have to know that a nice long road ahead awaits you since losing this excess weight will allow you to gain in health and enjoy much more of several aspects of your life and your environment.
By getting your healthy weight back , you can achieve important day-to-day goals such as: improving your mobility and agility, being able to walk for a long time without getting tired, playing ball with your children or nephews, looking better physically, putting on clothes that you liked it and it has been a long time since you feel good …
In addition, from the point of view of health, the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, strokes, infertility, sleep apnea, endocrine tumors or osteoarthritis, all are reduced. they, diseases that are exacerbated as the level of obesity increases.
To carry out a successful weight reduction program, you must integrate the consumption of healthier foods, physical exercise and the modification of important aspects of lifestyle.
And you, what do you want to lose weight for? It is possible to move from disorderly and inappropriate habits to more orderly and healthy ones that allow you to improve your quality of life. In this video, my companions Jéssica Hierro (dietitian-nutritionist) and Mª José Moreno (Clinical Psychologist), tell you some of the keys to losing 20 kilos through a diet.
HOW LONG CAN I TAKE TO LOSE 20 KG?
The answer to this question has many variants depending on the type of diet you carry out. Surely you have heard of promises that ensure you lose 20 kg in 3 months, but do you really think they are healthy or rather they are miracle diets?
A drastic decrease in calories that causes rapid weight reduction, causes you to lose more muscle and water and can cause vitamin and mineral deficits.
In addition, poorly planned weight-loss diets can cause hunger, bad mood, apathy, discouragement and anxiety. Many, because they eliminate basic foods that help improve your moods, such as bread or other cereals. Yes, yes, the bread. It has been shown that weight-loss diets that include this group of foods are better carried and the result is more lasting over time.
The gradual weight loss over a longer period helps reduce fat reserves, limits the loss of muscles and helps control the decrease in basal metabolic rate that accompanies rapid weight reduction, ie reduces the tendency of Our body adapt to reducing calorie intake, spending less energy. Because eating “little” can also promote weight gain. Have you ever Listen, “with what small I eat, I don’t know why I am with this weight”?
According to scientific studies, a limitation of calories that causes a reduction of 0.25 to 0.5 kg per week in BMI of 27 to 35 and 0.5 to 1 kg in BMI> 35 is ideal to be able to maintain the weight achieved and avoid the rebound effect.
Therefore, we could say that for you to get an idea, you can lose 20 kg in about 10 months.
WILL THE DIET BE SUFFICIENT?
To lose 20 kilos, you cannot simply adopt correct eating habits and not change anything else in your life.
Important aspects such as sleep, stress and physical activity are essential to achieve this goal. All of them are interconnected and when one of them is ignored, you can sabotage the rest.
- Sleep: Lack of sleep disrupts the mechanisms of endocrine regulation of hunger and appetite. Hormones that modulate appetite take a predominant role and may favor excessive energy intake. You must ensure that you sleep between 7-8 hours a day.
- Stress: Stress causes a release of adrenaline and cortisol, in a “fight or flight” response and have effects on the metabolism. As a consequence of this, the appetite is altered, being able to diminish or increase, but generally, it increases. In addition, a situation of stress or anxiety maintained over time can make weight loss difficult.
Therefore, we will have to find a way to manage that stress with activities that you like, such as painting, sewing, listening to music, yoga classes, and in general, enjoying your free time …
- Physical Activity: Physical activity is a key aspect to promote weight loss over time. If you are or have been sedentary all your life, it is important that you start with small steps such as walking to all the places you can instead of using the car; climb stairs, leaving the elevator aside; and mark you walking challenges to start.
For example, you can start by walking 30 min daily and write down the kilometers you do. The next week, the ride time increases. On the other, you can try to do the same route, in lower time and start jogging and thus leaving small goals progressively.
The practice of physical activity increases your daily caloric expenditure and in this way, helps the loss of body fat to work properly. In addition, as we always say, the diet should serve to change habits, and this is essential to ensure a better state of health.
What kind of diet to lose 20 kilos should I follow?
A balanced diet with energy restriction is the most reliable method to achieve long-term weight reduction.
Obviously, it is about carrying out a change of eating habits that not only serve to achieve the goal but serve forever.
The low-calorie diet has to be individualized by your dietitian-nutritionist.
The most advisable calorie reduction is one that involves a reduction of 500 to 1000 kcal per day and its energy distribution is the following for a classic hypocaloric diet: includes carbohydrates at least in the three main meals (breakfast, food, and dinner) trying to make most of the integral. Reduce your usual ration but do not eliminate cereal intake. Vegetables and fruits should be present ensuring 250-300g of vegetables per day and 300-350g of fruit per day. It is important that the protein comes from low-fat meats, fish and shellfish, eggs, low-fat dairy (fresh cheeses better than cured) or from plant-based foods such as legumes, nuts, seeds, soy, and derivatives. The intake caloric intake in the form of fats should not exceed 30% of total calories. That 30% is reached very easily so I recommend: control the oil of your dishes! It is very healthy, but you should use it sparingly and avoid fried, battered and very heavy stews.
Key aspects to consider
- Make the 5 daily meals: Eating every 3-4 hours will allow you to regulate blood glucose levels well and thus arrive well at the next meal to choose the healthiest foods that will make up your plate.
- Drink between 1.5 and 2 liters of water daily. Broths and infusions also count as such. Avoid sugary and alcoholic drinks, since they add sugars and many daily calories to your diet.
- Respect the idea of the dish. Your plate at lunch and dinner should bring vegetables, cereals or foods rich in carbohydrates and food Half of the meal will be based on vegetables or salads to provide satiety and low caloric value and thus regulate the subsequent consumption of more caloric foods such as those of protein origin and carbohydrates.
- What is one of the easiest ways to feel full faster? Replace refined grains with whole grains rich in fiber and protein. But don’t just change the white wheat bread for the wholegrain one day. Normally, these versions of whole wheat have only a negligible increase in fiber, and most have the same number of calories as refined ones. You will get the most fiber (and nutrients) when you eat intact whole grains, such as brown rice, whole wheat, legumes, quinoa, and oats, among others.
- Use varied, but low-fat cooking, such as boiled, steam, iron, wok papillote, oven or stews with little oil. Avoid fried and battered.
- Vary your dishes and use different ingredients and preparations, this way you will avoid monotony. It’s about enjoying!
- You can use all kinds of spices and herbs to flavor the dishes. Moderate the salt.
- Chew food well and eat slowly to give time to feel the signs of satiety.
WHAT DO I DO WHEN I HAVE HOLIDAYS OR CELEBRATIONS THROUGH?
During the time in which you will be with this loss of 20 kilos of weight, there will be celebrations such as the chestnut, Christmas, Easter, family meals or with friends …
Are you worried about these situations? You don’t know how to deal with them?
At this time, the consultation will help you, together with your nutritionist, to work these celebrations in advance so that when they appear, you can be more effective with sufficient resources. In addition, you can get healthier tips, ideas, and recipes to be able to propose them and thus avoid making very caloric meals.
You have to be aware that you can enjoy social life like the rest, always trying to choose your diet in the healthiest way possible within your means.
Obviously when it’s time for chestnuts, panellets, cannelloni or nougat you can afford to eat them, like everyone else. Of course, taste it in small portions, without stuffing yourself. The control will allow you to follow a good weight loss line.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I BREATHE AND STAY?
You are in a process of change and as such, it is likely that along the way some relapse may occur.
An important aspect that can help you achieve the ultimate goal is to break down that goal into smaller goals that do not involve tremendous effort. Short-term goals make you gain confidence and motivation as you reach them.
It may happen that the loss of the first kilos is easier because the level of motivation is very high and after a while, has decreased.
When you have been with the diet for a while, different emotions may appear such as boredom, anger or anger, anxiety … But the most important thing is to learn to regulate them.
Guilt may appear if one day you enter a pastry shop and you have not been able to resist eating chocolate croissants until you can no longer … Then there may be whipping thoughts on how … What have you done? How could you Theoretically you feel guilty because you made a mistake? Understand it as part of the process and take measures so that it does not happen again.
If you are anxious, check if you are eating in an orderly manner, if you are respecting the idea of the dish and you are not missing any food groups.
You may feel angry or angry because you are going to eat outside and it turns out that everyone is eating caloric and fatty dishes that seem appetizing and you choose healthier options to continue with your goal. In those moments you feel anger and envy because the rest of the table is thin and you think that they do not need to watch what they eat … But you will feel better if you think about the positive aspects that you are getting by reducing your weight.
It is possible that the time comes that you think the sacrifice is no longer worth it. What to do then?
At this point, it may be time to redefine the objectives and assess whether you want to continue with weight loss or not. To do this, I recommend that you ask yourself why you want to lose weight of 20 kg and make a list of all of them. This will allow you to assess and become aware of the importance of the initial objective.
In consultation, you can work on the rethinking of these objectives along with the barriers and resources that you have around you. Learning to identify the barriers that are presented to you both in the approaches, emotions, planning or in your environment, will help you anticipate these complicated situations, to know how to deal with them and manage them in the best possible way.
If you decide to resume weight loss again, it is important that you consider what has worked for you so far, what you have not tried yet, what you can do differently …
At this time, your nutritionist can help you to foster creativity, to incorporate new things into your diet, new recipes, new ways of cooking, how to plan … Summing up, to vary both foods to choose how to cook them and their texture and presentation. And they don’t have to be very complicated, elaborate and time-consuming recipes. You will be surprised how easy it is to cook fun and healthy in a short time.
For example, if we choose a pumpkin, we can eat it in many ways:
- Pumpkin cooked inside a fresh salad with cherry tomatoes, marinated salmon, arugula and cucumber.
- Sliced pumpkin as a base and with a sea bass on top, baked.
- Pumpkin wok with other vegetables such as eggplant, pepper, mushrooms and accompanying brown rice, for example.
- Cooked and kneaded pumpkin preparing a vegetable base to make a baked pizza.
- Pumpkin in cream.
- Pumpkin in papillote with mushrooms, spices, and salmon.
That you don’t like broccoli? … have you tried steaming it and making it more consistent? Steamed vegetables have more flavor and you can vary their texture according to your tastes.
Do you think you’ll get bored like that? The recipes and ideas are put by us, you will have to put your hands to elaborate it and then enjoy its flavor!